Monday, July 8, 2013

Da Bus! The Work Progresses

July 7, 2013

1. Eatin a prickly pear! crazy fruit haha super delicious :D
2. Last weeks baptism of Zuzzet! that her dad Miguel Bautista!
3. On top of la cerro de la campana! haha
4. when the goin gets tough... eat dinner with your investigators.
5. baptismal morning!
6. Not having any fun at all :))








This week was one of the best weeks I have had in a while. Every week I have reason to give thanks to my savior for assigning me to serve here. A quick story! so Elder Castro and I were in a public bus heading back to Las Lomas. We had already made plans for the afternoon and the bus trip would take about 20 minutes to arrive. 10 or so minutes into our trip I had a thought to get up out of my seat and get off the bus. Knowing that stopping in this area was probably a mistake I ignored the prompting. Seconds later I literally heard a voice, telling me, "get off the bus". No joke I turned around to see who had spoken, only to see a woman talking on her phone in the seat behind me. I also said to myself, there is nobody here that speaks English! "get off the bus. get off the bus. get off the bus" these words were running through my mind! I again said to myself "why are you fighting this prompting Elder Farrow? Just Act." So, I acted, I stood up, asked the bus driver to stop, and together Elder Castro and I got off the bus. I started to walk in the opposite direction to where we needed to go. I almost felt uncomfortable. People passing me on the left and on the right. We just kept on walking. By this time my companion is giving me this look like what the heck are we doing. As I was almost about to turn around and head for Las Lomas again, I heard a very similar voice tell me "keep going". I don't really know to explain it. I kinda felt awkward walking in a direction where I had no idea where to go or what to do. Then suddenly I saw a woman and her 5 year old son sitting against a wall in the shade, this woman was crying, and her sweet little boy was trying to give her comfort as he gave her a hug. Without hesitation we approached her. First we talked with the little boy. When his mother had lifted up her head, and somewhat wiped her tears we could see so much sadness in her eyes. After a little small talk, she began to cry again, but it was a humble and happy cry. She told us she had been baptised into the Mormon church about 3 years ago. but had been inactive for almost 2 years. She continued to tell us she said a personal prayer for the 1st time in these 2 years 10 minutes earlier. She prayed for help. After explaining to us some ugly things that had happened between her and her husband, we spoke of Christ and his healing power, His Gospel, and of course invited her to church on Sunday. MAN! Can you believe it. This served to be an incredible spiritually guiding experience for me. To finish the story we accompanied her back to her house, gave a more formal lesson, and gave her a priesthood blessing of peace, and comfort. She and her son, Diego, went to church on Sunday!

This week we also had the baptism of Zuzzet Bautista. We are super happy for her and her family. Her father was a non active member and after a little repentance process we reactivated him and he was able to baptise his daughter. We had the privilege to teach this family the basics of the gospel principles, and with her faith in Jesus Christ Zuzzet entered into the waters of baptism on Saturday. We are going to baptise again on Saturday, if all goes to plan. We will pray and fast :) Our investigators are progressing and we are enjoying the lessons we teach them. Even more baptisms will come!

The sun is still hot, the church is still true, and I am in love with missionary work. Some days are harder than others, but all days are worth the sacrifice. I continue to grow and thank my Father in Heaven for every experience, trial and blessing he puts in my life. I love my family and friends. Especially all the loved ones serving with me in the mission field! We are part of something so large, we should never take for granted this time we have to be missionaries. We are all so blessed!!!

Much Love,
Elder Farrow

P.S. Happy 4th of July!!!! just to think 1 year ago this week I was beating Jim Snow in horse shoes on the shore of Lake Powell. haha time flies.

Brother Snow's response:
Now that was a good letter! I loved how he gets promptings in English.
I think the sun is getting to him, that is not how I remember the horseshoe matches. He sure did get sick too!
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment